0191 214 0355 | 0800 195 1001 ContactUs1@accinet.co.uk

Making a personal injury claim can be a pretty daunting experience, especially if you are going up against a large organisation like a local council.

The good news is that a personal injury solicitor will be able to support and guide you through the entire process. Here we take a closer look at what type of claims are often made against councils and what you should expect when you contact a personal injury solicitor.

Can I Make a Personal Injury Claim Against My Local Council?

If you have suffered an accident and someone else was at fault you can make a personal injury claim. If the local council have been negligent, they may be the subject of that claim. For example, councils are charged with maintaining certain roads and pavements.

If you trip over a paving stone that was left in disrepair and injure yourself, that may give grounds for a claim against them because they should have repaired it.

The common injuries we see when dealing with negligence by the local council include:

  • Slips, trips and falls because of badly maintained roads or pavements or poor signage.
  • Injuries suffered while someone is working for the local council in any capacity.
  • Vehicle accidents including whiplash caused by poor road conditions such as potholes.

Proving Negligence Against the Local Council

With any personal injury claim, you need to prove that the plaintiff was negligent in their duty. In other words, you need to show they have not taken action to ensure that you are kept safe or they acted in such a way that it put you in harm’s way.

This can be fairly simple if there is a loose paving stone or a pothole in the road that caused your accident and the council failed to repair it promptly.

It is slightly different if you were injured while acting as an employee of the council. Again, you will have to prove that there was negligence involved. If you caught an illness or were injured while working on waste disposal for the council, for example, and they didn’t give you the right training or protective equipment then you could have a case for a claim.

Collecting Evidence

The most important part of any claim is the evidence you collect. Make sure that you get as much photographic evidence as you can and take the details of anyone who may have witnessed the injury happening.

You should also ensure that you seek medical confirmation of your injuries either from your GP or the local A&E so that you have everything on record.

Contacting a Personal Injury Solicitor

It’s vital to contact a solicitor as soon as possible and while details of the incident are clear in your mind. Most personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation so it shouldn’t cost anything to find out if you have the basis for a claim or not.

Personal injury claims can be made for general and more specific damages such as loss of earnings because of your accident. It can also help with recovery and, in more severe cases, for making changes to your home or lifestyle.

If you have been injured because of negligence by another party such as the local council, contact our team today to find out if you have the basis for a claim.