0191 214 0355 | 0800 195 1001 ContactUs1@accinet.co.uk

With more and more cyclists on our roads, both in urban areas and the country, there has been an increase in accidents and collisions as you might expect. If you are a cyclist who is hit by a car or an accident occurs on the road that isn’t your fault, you may be able to make a personal injury claim.

But what happens if you are cycling on the pavement at the time of your accident? Is the accident your fault? Here we take a look at the law and why you may be putting yourself at risk of a claim.

Can I Make a Claim for Compensation?

If you are a pedestrian and you are hit by a cyclist who is on the pavement, you may be able to make a personal injury claim. The cyclist does not need to have been stopped or even fined by the police in order for this to happen.

Cyclists who regularly jump off regulated lanes onto the pavement, especially in areas like cities, are immediately putting themselves at risk and raising the potential of hitting a pedestrian. Compensation may be awarded for the pain and injury caused, to support someone through rehabilitation or, in more serious cases, help to compensate for time off work or to pay for adjustments to live their lives normally.

It doesn’t matter you use the pavement because you think the road is dangerous. The law is very clear in this area. You are not allowed on the pavement for any reason.

If you have been involved in an accident with a cyclist and they were using the pavement, it’s highly likely that any claim for compensation will be settled in your favour. That’s simply because the cyclist is actually breaking the law at the time the accident happens.

The good news is that a personal injury lawyer will generally offer a no win no fee service to help make this kind of claim. What this means is that they will handle your case for free and only take their fees if they successfully settle your claim in court. Their charges are usually taken as a percentage of your final settlement.

It’s important to put together your case with the support of a personal injury specialist who will be able to help you gather the evidence and present your case to the court.